Data Protection Privacy Notice for Patients
The Practice has a duty to ensure that we adhere to the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). In providing your health care and treatment we will ask for information about you and your health. We may receive and also ask for information from other doctors and allied health care workers who have been involved in providing your care. This privacy notice describes the personal information we hold, why we hold it and what we do with it.
Information that we Collect From You
- Your name, date of birth, NHS number, address, contact details (phone and email), next of kin details, your medical history.
- Clinical information from other doctors and health care professionals, this may take the form of notes, letters, x-rays, scans, treatment plans and other associated information.
- Information from your employer with regard to Occupational Health Screens and Health Screens
- We will also collect and maintain information regarding your invoices and payments and issue payment reminders when invoices have not been paid.
- Details of your appointments
- Prescription records
- Recalls for tests, vaccinations, health screens etc.
Dr Adams as Data Controller is responsible for ensuring that the information we hold about you is kept safe and secure. The only staff at the Practice who have access to your information are Dr Adams and her PA. Minimal information is provided to Victory House regarding your appointment times.
How we Use Your Information
To provide you with the health care and treatment that you need we will require accurate and current information about you and whether you are a new patient or an existing patient we will ask for updated information from time to time.
- We will share some of your information as appropriate when making referrals to other health care professionals in connection with your treatment.
- We will check out with you your preferred method of communication – telephone, email or letter.
- We will check that you are happy to receive recall letters to ensure you are up to date with blood tests, health screens and reviews.
- We will check that you are happy to receive the Practice’s Newsletters or other information updates.
Sharing Your Information
We might need to share your information with
- Your NHS GP
- Private or NHS Consultants and Specialists
- Associated Health Care Workers – such as therapists, physiotherapist, dieticians
We would only disclose your information on a need to know basis and this would be limited to the information required to fulfil your treatment. There are certain circumstances where we have to disclose your data by law. This includes HMRC, the Police and other government agencies.
Keeping Your Information Safe
All your information is stored safely on our Practice clinical computer system and also in our manual filing system. Your information is only accessible to the Practice staff. All staff are aware of their legal responsibility to maintain confidentiality.
We take responsibility to ensure the safety of the Practice premises, the filing systems, telephones and computers. We use a high quality clinical specialist software to record your personal information safely and effectively. There is a secure audit trail. The system is backed up.
We are required by law to keep your records for ten years after the date you leave the practice.
Access to Your Data
- Should you wish to access the information we hold about you please submit your request in writing to the Practice address.
- If you need to amend any information we hold about you, please let us know in the first instance.
- Should you wish to stop receiving recalls, newsletters or other practice information – please advise us of your wishes.
What if I do Not Agree With This
If you are not happy with any aspect of this notice, please discuss with Dr Adams. This may mean that we are unable to continue to provide your health care.
If you have any concerns or need further clarification please contact the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), Whycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF. Contact numbers are 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745.
At our practice we understand the need for specific and immediate care and our range of services is designed to take the worry away from you and your family.
We appreciate the need for GP appointments being made at short notice or in advance and endeavour to match your availability at all times.
Health and well being has never before been as important as now and from our practice in Whalley we aim to deliver the best possible advice and treatment that not only deals with current issues you are facing but focuses on the prevention of ill health and coping with ongoing issues.
Our surgery ideals are built on the premise that the patient and their family are paramount and to take the worry away is the first step in the process.
We also offer a language translation service should any of our patients require.
We welcome the opportunity to chat with you regarding your needs and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to call 07486 365502 and speak to Sue Stanley, PA to Dr Adams. Sue is also available on firstname.lastname@example.org
Victory House, The Sidings, Whalley, Lancashire BB7 9SE